Rock Island Skip-a-Long Center utilizes Creative Curriculum as a research-based and comprehensive curriculum utilizing 38 objectives for development and learning that features exploration and discovery as a way of learning. It creates high-quality learning environments and builds understanding of developmentally appropriate practices. Planning and preparation are based on individual children and weekly lesson plans are built around a daily schedule, which includes large and small group time, outdoor time, free play, and one-on-one time with a teacher. Daily experiences are hands-on and project-based investigations. Though routinized and structured, play is the core of Creative Curriculum.
Rock Island Skip-a-Long utilizes Teaching Strategies as an authentic, ongoing, observation-based assessment that is linked to Creative Curriculum. Teaching staff to capture meaningful data related to the nine domains of development and learning, including: Social-Emotional, Physical, Language, Cognitive, Literacy, Mathematics, Science and Technology, Social Studies, and the Arts. Three checkpoints throughout the year provide an opportunity to measure where children are at developmentally and in their learning compared to widely held expectations for their age group. This information is shared with families. iPads are provided in each classroom to allow photographs and videos to add value and depth to the documentation provided.
Rock Island Skip-a-Long Center utilizes Conscious Discipline as an evidence-based classroom management practice that focuses on the development of social-emotional and self-regulation skills of both adults and children. Based on an understanding of three primary brain states - Survival; Emotional; and Executive - Conscious Discipline tailors interactions that are best suited for each unique situation. Teaching staff utilize the seven skills of Conscious Discipline, including: Composure, Encouragement, Assertiveness, Choices, Empathy, Positive Intent, and Consequences. By providing consistency and building connection - playfulness, eye contact, positive physical touch, and presence - children feel safe in the classroom and develop skills of self-regulation, which is necessary for learning.
Rock Island Skip-a-Long Center Features:
- License by Illinois Department of Child and Family Services
- Accreditation by National Accreditation Commission (NAC)
- Quality Rating: Gold Circle of Quality by ExceleRate Illinois
- On-site Mental Health Therapist that helps all children develop self-regulation skills
- Professional, educated staff with degrees and training in Early Childhood Education
- Extensive field trips, family events and experience-based programming
- Clean and organized classrooms
- Family conferences scheduled twice per year and available upon request
- Five fenced playgrounds with age-appropriate play equipment
- Healthy and nutritious meals and snacks
- Free transportation to and from local elementary schools
- Financial assistance available
Six weeks through 12 years
Open Monday through Friday (except Holidays):
6:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Full-time care
For Infants (six weeks old and up), toddlers, and two-year-olds
- Full Day Preschool
- Preschool For All Program
For eligible preschool children
- School-Age Programs
For children kindergarten to 12 years old
1609 4th St.
Rock Island, IL 61201